Sunday, May 3, 2009

Aunt Bubba

Recently my great great aunt passed away. Crazy, I know that I even had a great great aunt and even crazier was the fact that I actually knew her and had a relationship with her. She was blessed with a sharp mind throughout her life. We called her Aunt Bubba and yes, there is a long story behind the name but that's not what this post is about.

My Aunt Bubba was one in a million. She never married but rather was the rock that kept our ever growing family connected. Growing up in Olney, we would always go "down home" to Aunt Bubba's house on Sunday mornings for a cup of the strongest coffee I have ever come across in my life and her views on the world. Forever a devote and strong Democrat, she would enlighten us on the faults of Republican party and especially the Bush Administration.

But when I reflect on Aunt Bubba's life, one theme continues to rise above the rest - LOVE. She loved each and every one of us that sat at her table; she loved her Lucky Strike cigarettes; she loved history; she loved the expression "Well Honey!"; she loved Christ, her Savior; she loved to really getting know someone. The list could go on and on, but it made me think, "What do I really love in this life?" Well here are just a few that make me realize how blessed I truly am. I love....

...my dad's cinnamon toast in the morning especially as he hums his cinnamon toast song.
...taking in a baseball game on a beautiful afternoon.
...the Friday night lights of Texas high school football.
...setting down for dinner with my family.
...rolling down the windows and going for drive with the wind in my hair and the radio blasting.
...a good old Baptist hymn.
...my many friends with whom I just laugh.
...a long run.
...my grandparents.
...a movie on a rainy day.
...that an Andes mint will forever remind me of my great-grandparents.
...the excitement of a well deserved vacation.
...people with passion.
...the smell of my parent's house.

No comments:

Post a Comment