Sunday, May 10, 2009

To My Crazy Aunt Kathy On Her 51st Birthday



Today is a great day because 51 years ago on this day, my grandparents received their first bundle of joy - my aunt Kathy. I believe that everyone should experience the joy of having an aunt like Kathy. She is a full of surprises and there is NEVER a dull moment when she is around. There is always a good chance that she will go flying off the handle especially when her cell phone (which is set on the loudest volume option) receives a call from work. Although she loves her "peeps," there is always some sort of drama at the "home" (she works at an assisted living home).

Kathy is a passionate person, something that I have always envied about her. She loves our family especially her boys, Rue, Reece and Drew, but who could blame her; they are pretty spectacular. She loves baseball and often reminds me that there are few things more beautiful than a perfectly executed double play. She loves to read and due to this her daily vocabulary includes words like "impeccable" and "immaculate" just to name a few. She loves Baylor - "Bear Air" is good for the lungs but hard on the heart. She loves politics and will be a true Democrat until the day she dies. She loves animals and her home houses a zoo of "animales." She claims that dogs are life's purest source of joy and one of her life goals is for me to also embrace this truth. She loves old people because they are a great source of wisdom. She loves the 7 AM hour of the day and has passed that love on to me.

I love Kathy. It's a guaranteed good time whenever she is around. She is and always will be an important person in my life. I can't imagine my life without her. I'm not going to lie, our family get togethers would not be near as colorful without her stirring things up and voicing her opinion. I look forward to many more years of "laughing loud, laughing long and laughing often" with her.

So Kathy, Happy Birthday! And remember "earthly bodies" are overrated.

No comments:

Post a Comment